The historic Visitor Center is the oldest permanent building in Piedmont Park. It was constructed by the city as a public comfort station between 1910-1911. Funding for the construction came from the sale of the 1895 Cotton States & International Exposition buildings remaining in the park. In 1996, this historic building was restored to create the Visitor Center. As part of the renovation, artist Ralph Gilbert was commissioned to paint a mural on the ceiling that would express the city’s diversity and life in the park. Today, the historic Visitor Center is a popular Atlanta event venue whose proceeds benefit Piedmont Park Conservancy, a nonprofit dedicated to restoring and enhancing Piedmont Park.
Free Piedmont Park history tour at 11 a.m. on Saturday. Green Market opens 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Architect: 1911; renovated by Smith Dalia Architects, 1996